GAC FOOTBALL PLAYERS OF THE WEEK
Updated: October 23, 2015
By: Eric Moyer, GAC Communications
RUSSELLVILLE, Ark. – The Great American Conference announced the league’s Players of the Week for the seventh week of the 2015 football season. Southern Arkansas’ Barrett Renner earned the Offensive award; Oklahoma Baptist’s Brynden Pitzer claimed the Defensive accolade and Southwestern Oklahoma State’s D.J. Jones garnered the Special Teams honor.
GAC OFFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK – Barrett Renner, Southern Arkansas, QB, Fr., Rowlett, Texas
Renner led the Muleriders to a 32-28 win against Ouachita in the Murphy USA Classic as he threw the game-winning touchdown to with 37 seconds left. The touchdown, his fifth of the game, matched his career high. Renner finished by completing 23-of-27 passes for a season-high 383 yards, his fourth 300-yard game this season.
GAC DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK – Brynden Pitzer, Oklahoma Baptist, LB, Sr., Edmond, Oklahoma
Pitzer picked up his second GAC Defensive Player of the Week award as he helped spearhead the Bison’s 24-point comeback against Northwestern Oklahoma State. Pitzer shared the team high with nine tackles and he registered 1.5 of Oklahoma Baptist’s seven sacks. He added an interception, which he returned for a touchdown – one of five the Bison tallied.
GAC SPECIAL TEAMS PLAYER OF THE WEEK – D.J. Jones, Southwestern Oklahoma State, WR/PR/KR, Jr., Oakland, California
Jones averaged close to 19 yards per punt return, including a 54-yard return touchdown in the third quarter against Southern Nazarene He registered the first punt return touchdown by a Bulldog since 2007. He added one kickoff return for 18 yards and 98 yards receiving, plus two addition touchdowns, to finish with 191 all-purpose yards and three scores in the 73-7 victory.
– Kedron Banks, So., RB, Southwestern Oklahoma State (Ran for 144 yards and three touchdowns on only eight carries)
– JaQuan Cole, Jr., RB, Henderson State (Went over 150 yards for the third time this season)
– Jacob Ellis, Sr., RB, Oklahoma Baptist (Came off the bench to rush for 211 yards against NWOSU, his former school)
– Rocky Moore, Sr., QB, East Central (Set ECU single-season touchdown record for ECU with 26 breaking the old record of 24)
– Ryan Polite, Sr., QB, Southeastern Oklahoma State (Threw for 398 yards and five TDs in four-overtime game vs Harding)
– Zach Shelley, So., RB, Harding (Ran for 157 yards, his first career 100-yard game and a pair of touchdowns)
– DeAndre Baines, Sr., Rover, Harding (Became first Bison since 2013 to have an INT and a fumble recovery in the same game)
– Conner Bays, Jr., S, Southwestern Oklahoma State (Racked up nine tackles and an interception, his second of the year)
– Bobby Jackson, Jr., SS, Southeastern Oklahoma State (Totaled nine tackles, 2.0 tackles-for-loss and a fumble recovery)
– Davondrick Lison, Fr., DE, Southern Arkansas (Registered nine tackles, 2.0 sacks and a forced fumble)
– Jordan Norris, Jr., CB, Northwestern Oklahoma State (Recorded his seventh INT of the season to rank second in Division II)
– Jameel Whitney, Sr., LB, East Central (Tied the ECU career record for tackles, 278, with 14 in a win vs No. 24 Arkansas Tech)
– Joel Carlos, Fr., K/P, Southeastern Oklahoma State (Averaged 42.8 yards punting, made his lone field goal and all seven PATs)
– David Massuere, Jr., K, East Central (Converted both field goals, with a long of 41, and both PATs in win vs Arkansas Tech)
– Houston Ray, So., K, Henderson State (Made field goals of 44 and 38 yards and averaged of 58.2 yards on eight kickoffs)